Start: 01/30/2016 End:01/31/2016
Difficulty: v strenuous- 9 miles, 4k ft of gain with glorified tennis rackets strapped on your feet
Think LA County is all palm trees and sunshine?
Well think again cause we’re headed just an hour away from downtown to find winter and climb one of Los Angeles County’s highest peaks. Bighorn Peak is a challenging, but rewarding summit with views stretching from the Mojave Desert to Mt. Baldy and the Pacific Ocean.
Meet: 6:30am at Trogro on Saturday
Return: 11am Sunday
Pre-Trip Meeting: VKC Arches- 9pm on Wednesday the 27th
Cost: Member: $40 Non-Member: $50
- Waterproof hiking boots *No tennis shoes* (taking off frostbitten toes with an ice ax is no fun)
- Synthetic layers, lots of them. You will need them because the summit is very windy.
- waterproof pants & a rain jacket
- Hats & gloves
- trekking poles/ hiking stick- something helps with the slipping and sliding on snowy trails
- 3L of water
- sunglasses cause snow blindness is no fun
- overnight gear for the base camp part