Difficulty: Extra strenuous. Over 5000 feet of elevation gain on rough trails with moderate exposure and scrambling. Previous hiking experience strongly recommended.
With an 8,310 ft high trailhead, climbing to the 10,064 ft summit of Mt. Baldy should be easy, right? Just 1,754 ft of elevation gain and you’d be on the top, right?
The Bodacious Backside of Baldy serves up a roller-coaster of a ridgeline with 5,000 feet of elevation gain, nearly half of that coming on the return trip. Whether you’ve climbed Baldy the standard route or not, this hike will challenge you with narrow, rugged trails atop crumbly ridgelines trodden by only bighorn sheep and SCoutfitters. You’ll work hard for your summit views, but the pay off is a panorama stretching from the Sierras to Catalina and DTLA.
Meet: 7 Am at tro gro
Return: 7:30 PM
Cost: Member: $29 Non-Member: $37
- Sturdy hiking shoes, boots recommended
- Warm layers and a raincoat. The weather at 10,000 ft can be chilly and unpredictable!
- 3-4L of water for a long, 6-8 hour hike
- sunscreen and hat, there’s little shade on the route
- trekking poles if you’ve got them
- climbing legs and mental fortitude