Start: 02/09/2013 End:02/10/2013
Activity: Basecamping, Day Hike, Kayaking, Sightseeing, Butterfly Admiring
Camping, Kayaking and Butterflies, OH MY!
We will be camping at Lake Cachuma in the breathtaking mountains of Santa Barbara!!
On the drive up we will be make a short stop to do a scenic walk through the Coronado/Ellwood Preserve to see the THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of Monarch Butterflies. The butterflies migrate once every year and this is PRIME time to see them in this magical destination! (Btw, this is a great spot to woo your dream lass or lad; or if you’ve ever had a secret desire to feel like a fairy princess/prince, this is your time).
After that, we will continue on to the Lake where there will be much merriment to be had in the form of kayaking, hiking, and lounging while we base camp!
On the way back home, if we so decide, we can make a second pit stop to a historic site called, “Painted Cave”. This is one of the few areas where we have remaining rock art by the Chumash Native Americans.
Meet: Meet Saturday at 7:00a outside TroGro (Starbucks)
Return: Back at USC by 6:00p on Sunday
Pre-Trip Meeting: Wednesday, February 6th @ 8:30p (VKC arches)
- Normal backpack
- Sleeping bag w/ stuff sack
- Sleeping pad
- Personal Eatery (cup, bowl and / or plate, spoon, fork, reusable)
- Shoes with good ankle support
- Water shoes
- Water bottle (3-4L)
- Extra clothes: warm layers and hat? rain gear?
- Personal kit – toothbrush, toothpaste, lip balm, sunscreen, insect repellent, etc. Please include any personal medications you are taking
- Light snacks if you need them