Start: 02/16/2019 End:02/17/2019
Difficulty: A straightforward hike with 3,000 feet of elevation in 3 miles each way. We will be staying in a cabin at the top, and moving slow, but expect somewhat difficult snow travel.
This weekend we’re going to hike up to and stay in the historic San Antonio Ski Hut nestled at 8,300′ on the South Face of Mt. Baldy. Come join us for the joy of stepping inside the cozy hut after hours in the snow to chef up some curry and play bananagrams.
As conditions permit, we will summit Baldy on Sunday, climbing the much steeper and more exciting South Bowl of Mt. Baldy fo the last 2,300 feet of vertical gain before heading back down to the cars and to LA by late afternoon.
Meet: 9:00 AM at Tro Gro
Return: 6:00 PM
Cost: Member: $72, Non-Member: $90
- sleeping bag
- sleeping pad
- rain coat/ski coat (will be snowing most of if not all of the time)
- rain pants or ski/snow pants
- waterproof boots
- Warm clothes
- Non-cotton pants (Trackpants with rain pants over them work great!)
- Warm hat
- High of 32°F, LOW OF 16°F at the hut (but will be warmer lower down)
- 1 extra pair of every piece of clothing
- Toothbrush and toothpaste (don’t bring shower things, we won’t have a shower in the hut)
- Sunglasses (super important, as when the sun comes out on snow its really easy to sunburn your eyes, can be a cheap pair)
- Camera (optional)