Start: 02/11/2012 End:02/12/2012
Activity: Rock Climbing
Difficulty: Intermediate. The majority of the climbs we do will be 5.8 or 5.9
Can’t decide whether to go on that cool-sounding overnight trip or sign up for an epic day of rock climbing? Well, now you can have both! New Jack City is a rock climbing paradise located a scant two hours outside of LA. Come enjoy a full two days of incredible climbing, serene camping, and good company.
About the climbing – The formations of New Jack City are all volcanic tuff. The rock features pockets, flakes, and a very unique texture that makes New Jack climbing fun and completely different from anything else. We’ll be putting up 3-4 climbs at a time, so you’ll be able to be on the rock as much as you want, without having to wait or take turns.
About the camping – New Jack is a remote campground far from any major cities or other sources of light pollution, so at night you’ll be treated to an unparalleled view of the stars and the silhouettes of the jagged rock spires. During the day, you’ll be walking around an area that looks like Mordor. Pretty cool, eh?
Meet: Meet at 6:45am Saturday outside the Lyon Center
Return: Return around 7pm on Sunday
Pre-Trip Meeting: 7pm Wednesday, Feb 1 at the Lyon Center rock wall
- SC Outfitters will provide harnesses, helmets, belay devices, and rock shoes.
- Please contact Quinn if you have feet larger than size 11 or smaller than size 6.
- Sleeping pad
- Warm sleeping bag (it may get down as low as 30 degrees at night)
- Wind-resistant jacket
- Warm jacket – down, parka, or warm fleece
- Warm layers – long underwear, etc.
- Clothes you can climb in (shorts/pants that don’t restrict your movement, shirts that won’t get in the way)
- Warm gloves
- Warm socks
- Hat – for cold weather
- Shoes you can hike in
- at least 2 liters of water
- Headlamp or flashlight
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Toiletries and any medications
- Personal snacks (group snacks will be provided)
- Handwarmers (highly recommended)