Start: 09/18/2015 End:09/20/2015
Activity: Hiking, Car Camping
Difficulty: Very Strenuous, between 14 and 17 miles of hiking on Saturday with over 3,000 feet of elevation gain. Previous hiking experience strongly recommended.
Folks, boring people say “death is no laughing matter”. But Simba from the movie The Lion King said, “I laugh in the face of danger”, and we all know where there’s danger, there’s death. Basically, do you want to be a boring person or do you want to be Simba? That’s what I thought. So come laugh in the face of death… Death Valley that is! We’re summiting telescope peak, so join us and take a “peak” of your own through this telescope! What will you see? I’m not telling you. I don’t want to spoil the hike. You just have to join and find out!
We need one participant driver for this trip so sign up for a reduced price and get compensated for gas. Extra bonus points if you’ve got a 4wd vehicle with high clearance!
Meet: 10am outside Trogro
Return: Back to USC by 7pm
Pre-Trip Meeting: VKC Arches 7pm Tuesday the 15th
Cost: Member: $126 Non-Member: $158
What to bring:
We will be taking care of all of the group gear you’ll need (tents, stoves, food, etc) so just take care of your personal stuff! You should bring:
- 4 liters of water (like, a lot of water. It’s the desert)
- sleeping bag
- sleeping pad
- backpack (a day pack)
- sturdy hiking shoes, boots prefered
- sun protection (sunglasses, hat, sunscreen)
- LAYERS for dramatic desert temperature fluctuations (windbreaker, fleece). Temperatures will vary from the 40’s at night to over 100 in the afternoon!
- gloves, beanie, dry socks for sleeping and nighttime
- mess kit (cup, plate or bowl, spoon, knife, fork)
- good tunes for the car ride
- a sense of adventure!