Start: 02/20/2016 End:02/21/2016
Activity: Camping, Backpacking, Skill Training
Difficulty: Moderate - Difficult, all are welcome but those with previous backpacking experience will get the most benefit from this trip
It’s BIG. It’s BADASS. It’s the ULTIMATE HARD SKILLS TRIP: Allegra and Lucy style! This trip will be an excellent opportunity to hone your hard skills, have some fun outdoors, and hear some killer stories from two girls who always come back to the front country with ridiculous tales.
Hard skills defined: any technical or knowledge-based skill learned with the intent of real-world application.
Some hard skill trainings will include:
- Orientation and Topography
- Whisperlite/Jetboil maintenance and repair
- Backcountry cooking and working with food restrictions
- Tents and Packs and Gear, Oh My!
- Environmental Safety (read: how to safely escape a Leo DiCaprio/Revenant situation)
- Important First Aid/Backcountry Medicine skills
- Leave No Trace and how to spread the word sans soapbox/preachy vibes
- Avoiding blisters, burns, stings and poisons (and what to do
ifwhen these do happen)
- How to incorporate puns into everyday backcountry situations
- And so much more!
This trip will be jam-packed with a ton of learning, practical knowledge, trail mix and fun, and we hope you’ll come join us!
**This is a great opportunity to showcase your wonderful guide-esque qualities and personality for those of you looking to apply!
Meet: 9:00am Saturday outside of good ole' EVK
Return: Sunday before 5:00pm
Cost: Members: $48 Non-Members: $60
- Hiking boots/running shoe equivalent
- Pants/shorts, non-cotton shirt, one change of underwear
- Rain jacket (backcountry waits for no one, rain or shine!)
- LAYERS (be like an onion/parfait, whichever you prefer)
- Hats, both brimmed and warm
- AT LEAST 3 liters of water (1 Nalgene = 1 liter, plastic waterbottles A-OK)
- Sleeping bag AND sleeping pad
- Tent (if you have one)
- Backpack (35+ liters)
- Any stoves, first aid kits or other gear you hope to get more acquainted with
- A positive attitude and/or Girl Scout cookies