Nature is not a place to visit. It is home.
– Gary Snyder; American poet
Sweet! We’re excited that you want to go on an adventure with us. But you might be going, “Wait! How do I go about doing that?”
No worries. That’s what we’re here for. Just click on a tab below to get started…
- Difficulty rating for trips
- 1: No physical activity.
- 2: Leisurely walk.
- 3: 3-5 miles, about 1500 ft of gain, well maintained trails. About 3 hours of continuous activity.
- 4: 5-10 miles, about 3000 ft of gain, well maintained trails. 4-6 hours of continuous activity.
- 5: 10-14 miles, over 3000 ft of gain, variable trail conditions possible. Full day of continuous activity.
- 6: At high altitude. 10-14 miles, over 3000 ft of gain, variable trail conditions possible. Full day of continuous activity.
- 7: Technical skills may be necessary. At high altitude. Scrambling involved
- 8: u gunna die
- Choose your adventure
- All trips become available to browse on Our Trips page at the beginning of trip reveals (first Wednesday of the month at 8pm). Each trip has its own page with details about location, difficulty, ticket prices, and what to pack. Don’t forget to also check our Facebook page for the latest updates on when trips are released, and which ones still have spots available.
- While at 8pm you can look through the cycle’s offerings, trips signups do not open until 11pm for members, and 10am the next morning for non-members.
- Check out the Trip Difficulty tab to make sure that you are signing up for a trip matching your skill level. If you are unsure or have any questions please reach out to our Trip Director, President, or any other guide.
- Sign up
- Found an adventure you’re excited about? Great! To sign up, be ready on the trip page of your choice by 11pm Wednesday (for members) or 10am Thursday (for non-members). The green “Sign up for this trip” button will now be live, and clicking it will direct you to Eventbrite. Click the new green “Tickets” button to continue.
- If tickets are available, you’ll be able to continue from here to purchase a ticket (we use PayPal for processing payments and refunds). A confirmation will be emailed to you. You’re all set!
- If no tickets are available, and instead you see an option to “Join Waitlist,” we encourage you to do so! When a ticketed participant cancels, guides will be quick to reach out to you about filling the spot.
- Again, be sure to check our Facebook page from time to time – when trips still have availability, we’ll let you know there.
- Please be familiar with our Cancellation Policy before purchasing your ticket.
- Having trouble with our website, Eventbrite, or Paypal? E-mail our Technology Director so we can make sure the signup process is bug-free for everyone.
- Please fill out our participant waiver and medical information forms. We need these on file before the trip leaves, so we ask that you send them to your guides without delay. All SCO participants need only fill them out once a semester, either filled out electronically or in hard copy.
- Keep an eye out for a pre-trip email from your guides! They’ll send you detailed information about what to expect, what to pack, and where to meet.
- So they can plan accordingly, let them know early if you:
- Need to borrow gear, such as backpacking packs, sleeping bags, or sleeping pads (group gear, such as tents and stoves, are always provided)
- Have any dietary restrictions
- Have any pertinent medical conditions (allergies, Epi-Pens, insulin, etc.)
- Longer or more technical trips may hold a pre-trip meeting – the trip page will indicate if and when yours will be held.
- You’re all set! Have a blast, and send any cool trip photos to @scoutfitters or our Trip Director so we can feature you on our Instagram!
Overnight & Day Trips
If you cancel
- All SC Outfitter trips have a no-refund policy unless a substitute participant can be found.
- To secure the best chance for a refund, the withdrawing participant should contact their guides at least five days before the trip is scheduled to depart.
- After the withdrawing participant has initiated the cancellation request, we will make all possible attempts to secure a replacement from the trip waitlist and/or the member community.
- If a substitute participant is found, a full refund minus a 5% penalty (or $75, whichever is less) will be returned to the withdrawing participant. The refund will be administered through PayPal, and will typically result with a credit back to the payment option within 1-2 business days after the request has been processed.
- If a substitute cannot be found, a refund will not be granted and the trip reservation will be forfeited.
- Note: If you need to forfeit your spot, please do not solicit your ticket on social media, such as our Facebook page or other USC groups. This disrupts the waitlist system we have for this purpose, and gives others the false expectation of securing a spot on a trip. If your trip is full and you have a friend who is interested in taking a spot you plan to forfeit, have them join the trip’s waitlist (found through the regular ticketing process), where they may be offered the ticket in the order that they signed up.
- Likewise, tickets may only be used by the individual that purchased it. Under no circumstances may you give your spot to someone else without explicit permission from your guides. Any participant found in violation of this rule may be banned from SC Outfitter trips and events.
If we cancel
- In the event that a scheduled trip is cancelled, all participants will be granted a complete refund, including transaction fees.
- As a general policy, we do not refund membership subscriptions. However, certain circumstances may be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. For more information, please contact our Membership Director.
And that’s it! Well that and make sure to have a blast on your trip!